It's okay lil' asian.

.

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Flirt.


OK so…  For some time now I’ve been flirting with the idea of purchasing a Nook or a Kindle(obviously not now since I don't have that cash flow really flowing and this flirtation has been strictly between me and the the webstie upon which I go and look at these intereseting little beings.).  Based on CNET other than the ipad2, the kindle and the nook are the top runners.  Here’s my bind:
I can’t part with the fact that I may never need a bookshelf again.  Just actually finding books in the library brings me joy, knowing that I mastered their dewey decimal system.  Having old books from my childhood where the pages yellowed around the edges that emit a strange odor is strangely something I want to keep and pass on.  I’m not sure what is “traditional” about paper books but I feel like by giving in and purchasing an E-reader out of convenience is such a cop-out to literature. — I have no sound reason for this, I guess its just a feeling.
I am definitely one of those people who are pro-embracing technology, but this move from paperbooks to digital e-books is something scary for me.  Border’s went out of business, that’s a lot of people losing their jobs.  Publishing companies are going to change completely, and more people will be buying their books online.
Companies will be able to track every book we read, just like they track what websites we go to, what we spend, how long we spend on there, what page we exit on, etc.  There are people (like me, duh…) whose jobs are to monitor these things.
I may be delving way too deep into this, but I’m just getting that whole 1984 vibe.  George Orwell, you were way before your time.  I say — Big Brother is out there, or shall I say, the Illuminati.
OK so how I got from E-readers to the Illuminati is beyond me.  Oh the innerworkings of my brain.
If I had to choose, I’d get a Nook -__-
Reasons why:
  • I can play Angry Birds
  • It’s in Color 
  • I can get a cute case
Other than that, I’m still gonna stick to my paperbacks and hardcovers.  I like to write in my books, highlight shxt and destroy their integrity with my own thoughts haha.  Then when I read it again i’m all enlightened and impressed by myself like, oh wow i thought that?
Technology.  We need to think about how this will effect is all in the long run before jumping the bandwagon.  Convenient doesn’t always mean its the best.



Check out this bear sleeping bag.If this was for sale, I would totally buy this.  It’s pretty disgusting how I can stick to novelty more than efficiency sometimes.  I find myself quite practical but when something is THIS creative I really can’t help myself!
Anywho, this is by a Japanese designer Eiko Ishizawa
He has work ranging from wood installations to sketchwork.Imagination is the cornerstone of innovation.
Artists needed, workers everywhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment