It's okay lil' asian.

.

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Short Story.

I'm renewing myself, so to speak. And So I will be posting a few short stories. To sort of condition myself for November. National Writers Month. In which I will attempt to write a WHOLE story in ONE month. Good luck? I'll need it.

(Note: There will be grammar mistakes, loose ends, and flaws. It's a short story in a blog. What do you expect?)
 Also, I'm low on creativity that isn't about a specific topic that young teens these days like to write about, which I do not wish to write about.

Prompt: At the airport, a stranger offers your character money to carry a mysterious package onto the plane. The stranger assures your character that it's nothing illegal and points out that it has already been through the security check. Your character has serious doubts, but needs the money, and therefore agrees...


I glanced up at the terminal I was about to enter in an hour or so, there weren't that many people I still might have a chance to have a row of seats to myself. Or at the very least a seat between us. I looked at all of the people waiting for the same plane. I was people watching, I was a people watcher. It was a habit that stemmed from a past relationship. We used to go to the mall and I would pick out a person and they would tell me their whole life story just by looking at them. Sometimes it was funny, sometimes it was sad. This pastime always made me feel more connected to the people around me. It was as if they were people watching just like me, and we were all wondering the same thing. Who am I? 
There were tall people, short people. Skinny, fat, old, young. Black, white. They were all here. Going to the same general place. That's all life really is anyway. A plane terminal where everyone is going to the same general place. 
I took notice of a man sitting in the corner. He looked disheveled and nervous. He had a package in his lap. It was wrapped in what appeared to be a paper bag and tied up with twine. There was writing across the top, but it really wasn't any of my business. I looked away, at other people. When I glanced back moments later he was gone. Probably off to his general area. But he wasn't, he was walking towards me. We made quick eye contact, I looked away. Other general areas. 
"Excuse me miss?" 
Shit.
"Uhm, yes? Can I help you?" I tried to be polite as possible. I didn't like being bothered by a creep just as much as anyone else.
"Can I ask you do me a favor? It's really very important."
"What is it..." I was hesitant. As anyone with good common sense would be, though if I had good common sense I don't suppose i would be talking to this bedraggled man.
"I need you to take this package on your flight with you. It's the most important thing, please."
"I'm sorry sir, I will not bring illegal substances onto the plane, or worse. I won't bring a bomb on the plane. Please leave, or I'll get security." The ridiculousness of the situation was getting on my nerves.
"Mam. If there were illegal substances or a bomb, I wouldn't have gotten past security." A strange smile lit across his face. "I know that you are going to Los Angeles to start a new life, and I know that you don't have any money or a job to go to. Listen, I'll give you five hundred dollars just to carry this package for me."
My breathe caught in my throat and the insides of my stomach dropped, what was left of my meager lunch almost came back the way it came.
"I beg your pardon? Do I know you? Did Kevin put you up to this? Seriously, that pretentious ass hole! You can tell him to take his "package" and shove it into a meat grinder! Is this his way for apologizing to me? Making a fool of me? I don't want his money! I don't want anything that has to do with him!" I was enraged, to say the least.
The shock and tribulation that swept across his face was immense. At that moment I knew that I had not been pranked by my ex. I didn't know what was going on. I just knew that I had been a bitch. Plain and simple.
"I'm sorry sir, truly, Please accept my apology. I just recently got  out of a bad relationship, and it still hurts. Forgive me." I waned a small smile. "If you're still willing, I will take the package. Regardless of what is in it." I reached my hands out, "lord only knows that karma will get me for this." I thought to myself.
The raggedy man beamed the brightest most excited smile I had ever seen in my entire life. There are no earthly comparisons to his smile or to how it made me feel.
"Thank you, so very much." He handed me a package, and an envelope.
"Oh, no. I Couldn't take your money after behaving in such a way." I had twenty dollars in my pocket. I didn't know anyone in Los Angeles. I needed the money, but I wasn't going to bite the hand that fed me.
"It's not money, it's instructions. Read them on the plane." He winked, and walked away.
Baffled I floundered for words, actions. Anything. But he was gone before I even could mutter, "Thank you."
On the plane I sat with the package on my lap and the envelope in my hands. I fingered the edges, felt it's thickness and weight in my palms. It was just a letter. 
After take off I finally decided to open the letter, not having anything better to do.
"Inside this package is a great gift, greater than any human could ever give. And here I give it to you. Safe travels." 
"What kind of instructions are these? Is this meant for me?" Confounded I set the note aside and started to open the package.
Inside I found five hundred dollars, a red glass heart ornament, and the picture of a young boy with a note attached to that. I unpaper clipped the image and the note and read.
"You do not know my family, but this was my son. He died in a car accident many years ago. His death has no correlation to your life in anyway except that he was a living person who struggled his entire life, just as you are. And so here I give you great treasures. Inspiration, love, and a new beginning. Enjoy."
I wept as I read. My life was starting to come together now. I could do this. I could be fresh. I could be reborn. I had inspiration, love and this was my new beginning.








Well. That was NOT was i intended to write. But a nice short story nonetheless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment